The B-24 Liberator

 

RAAF Hall of Fame
Welcome to B-24 Liberator Australia...
Restoring Australia's only surviving B-24 Liberator long range heavy bomber

 

Download or play 2 songs about Rosie The Riverter

To download right click the play icon, select "Save Target As"

Rosie the Riveter on the Liberator Line 

Rosie the Riveter

 

 

My Tributes to

1st Lt. Everett D Bever.

T/Sgt. Jack L. Sheats.

1st Lt. Harry A. Boller.

The Crew of Little Eva

Advertisements featuring the Liberator

 

Comprehensive Diagrams  

Production of the B-24 

Norden Bombsight

Flying the B-24D

History of the B24 in 7 Parts

Flight Manual for the B-24 Liberator

 

WE WENT TO WAR
THE AIRCRAFT
Listed by Nose Art Name

Advertisements featuring the Liberator

Comprehensive Diagrams

Production of the B-24

380th BG Quarterly Newsletters
Some Great Reading

B-24 Liberator Units of the Pacific War

Please Remember All B-24 Veterans

"WITCHCRAFT"

B-24J Witchcraft Pictorial

Watch Diamond Lil Take Off

USAAF Nose Art Research Project
 

KMZ files for WW2 Airstrips & Camps

B-24 Liberator Takeoff

How to Fly the B-24D Movie

Preflight Inspection of the B-24

 

World War II Airstrip Fenton - NT

World War II Fenton Base Camp - NT

USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers--1908 to Present

 

This would have to be the best YouTube I've yet seen,

Whatch the dummy Bombs flash into the ground , unbelievable speed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The history of the 380th dates back to Oct. 28, 1942 when the unit was established. The 380th Bombardment Group (Heavy) was activated on Nov.3, 1942 at Davis-Monthan Field, Tucson, Arizona. Originally, the 380th BMG consisted of four bombardment squadrons, the 528th, 529th, 530th, and 531st. Shortly after being activated, the group moved to Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas where it underwent extensive combat training. After completing training, the 380th BMG moved to Lowry Field, Denver, Colorado to undergo final combat training. In early May 1943, the Group arrived in Fenton Airfield, Northern Territory of Australia in the RAAF's North West Area of operation where it was assigned to 5th Air Force, V Bomber Command. In Australia, the Group was placed under Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) command, the only B-24 Liberator unit attached to the RAAF. The 380th was assigned to train RAAF personnel on the B-24 and to secure Australia's safety against a threatened Japanese invasion along its northern coast. Upon its arrival in Australia, the 380th BMG immediately began combat operations.During April and May 1944, the 380th engaged in the most intensive and sustained operations since arrival in the southwest Pacific, neutralizing the rear bases through which the Japanese might reinforce their air force in the area of the Dutch East Indies.

In 1942, the Australian government began to explore the possibility of manufacturing heavy bombers in Australia to equip the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). The Liberator, by virtue of its excellent long-range characteristics, was a natural choice for Australia because of the large distances that would be encountered by the RAAF in the Pacific theatre of operations.

However, at an early date it was deemed infeasible to manufacture the Liberator under license in Australia since it was already under production in several plants in the USA. Instead, the Avro Lancaster was chosen for Australian production. However, the war ended before such production could get under way. However, 73 examples of the improved Lincoln version were built in Australia starting in 1946.

Although Australia had opted not to manufacture the Liberator, in late 1943, General George C. Kenney, commander of Allied Air Forces in the South West Pacific Area, recommended that the RAAF form seven Liberator squadrons. The USAAF would assist the RAAF with both the procurement of aircraft and the training of crews. The RAAF personnel would be temporarily attached to the US Fifth Air Force to gain experience.

In February of 1944, twelve B-24Ds were obtained second-hand from USAAF stocks and delivered to Australia. They were assigned the RAAF serials A71-1 through 12. By this time, the B-24D was well past its prime, and was deemed suitable only for operational training, pending the arrival of more capable Liberator versions. These B-24Ds were assigned to No 7 Operational Training Unit based at Tocumwal, Victoria to carry out heavy bomber operational training for air crews. They served there until 1945. None ever saw any combat, and this unit was disbanded at the end of the war.

The definitive Liberators for RAAF service were the B-24J, L, and M versions, the first of which was delivered in May of 1944. 287 Liberators were ultimately taken on charge by the RAAF, with 168 of them being allocated under the terms of Lend-Lease. They were assigned the serial number A72-31/198 and A72-300/405. Some of these were delivered to No 7 OTU for training, but most of the others were delivered to operational units for combat. The following RAAF squadrons were equipped with Liberators: Nos. 12, 21, 23, 24, 25, 36, 99, and 102. Five of these squadrons had previously operated Vultee Vengeance dive bombers. Most of the RAAF Liberator operations were directed against targets and shipping in the former Dutch East Indies which had been overrun by the Japanese. Many RAAF Liberator operations were conducted out of air bases in the Northern Territory and Queensland, whereas others were flown from bases in Burma. As islands to the north were liberated from the Japanese, the Liberators would often take off from Australian bases, bomb their targets, and then land at bases in Borneo or Morotai. They would then bomb up again and attack other targets and return to their bases in Australia. In addition, Nos 200 and 201 Special Duties Flights flew Liberators in covert operations, which generally involved the dropping of agents, the support of guerilla operations, and the supplying of coastal watchers.

After the Japanese surrender, many RAAF Liberators flew transport and supply missions in support of recently released prisoners of war. Following the end of the war, several of the RAAF Liberator units were disbanded, and those that remained in service were re-equipped with Avro Lincolns by 1947. As they left service, many RAAF Liberators ended up derelict at Tocumwal, and most were scrapped there in 1950-52.

Only one RAAF Liberator is known to survive. It is A72-176, a B-24M flown by 82 Wing. After being struck off charge in March of 1948, A72-176 was transferred to RAAF East Sale as an instructional airframe. Later that year, the fuselage was offered for sale as scrap and was bought by Mr. George Toye of Moe, Victoria. Mr. Toye kept the fuselage in fairly good shape in the succeeding years. However, 45 years out in the open have taken their toll, and there is now some major corrosion and some missing parts. The plane is now awaiting restoration, which will be carried out by using a set of Liberator wings found in New Guinea. Once restored, it will eventually be placed on display in a suitable museum.

History of the B-24
Production
Diagrams
Advertisements

Norden Bombsight
 
Page Updated 25th May 2012